If one of your family members has suffered from a personal injury or killed in an accident due to the negligence of another driver, you can sue the guilty party on the behalf of the victim. If you are not sure what to do, just contact a Personal Injury Lawyers Toronto for getting the best assistance on your case. Under the Family Law Act in Ontario, you may be entitled to sue for damages. The following dependents of an accident victim have the right to sue the guilty party:
- Brothers and sisters
You may recover the following damages:
- Money spends on the behalf of the victim: The total amount of money that you have spent on the victim like on their medical equipment or related items might be recovered.
- Funeral expenses: If the victim is killed in an accident, you could recover the actual funeral expenses.
- Total Travel expenses: you can recover only limited travel expenses like travelling charges that are associated with traveling to and from visits with the victim during their accident recovery in the hospital.
- Charges for service that you have provided to the victim: You might be able to recover the reasonable value of the services you have personally provided to the victim like Nursing, housekeeping and other services. If you lost your work, you may even recover the lost income also.
- If your relationship has been affected with the victim due to the personal injuries or psychological harm, you may also get compensation for loss of companionship, care and guidance.
Distribution of damages awarded for the loss of a family member
If multiple family members of the victim are suing the other party for damages, under the law the guilty party has the right to settle the claim without describing how it will be distributed and shared. After that the court will distribute the equal amount of compensation among the multiple family members of the victim.
Hire a personal injury lawyers Toronto
If one of your family members is killed or injured in an accident due to the negligence or reckless driving of another driver, you can sue the guilty for recovering the victim’s damages. You must hire an experienced personal injury lawyer to represent your case in the court for getting your deserving compensation.